Suspect killed after opening fire on Secret Service checkpoint outside White Housepublished at 03:51 BST
Image source, AFP via Getty ImagesA suspect was killed on Saturday evening in Washington DC after he opened fire on Secret Service agents in the streets surrounding the White House.
A volley of gunfire was first heard at around 18:00 local time (23:00 GMT), with journalists who were working at the White House forced to run for cover.
The US Secret Service has since published a statement detailing the sequence of events.
The statement said that a person had pulled a weapon from their bag in the vicinity of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, and started firing on its agents. Secret Service police returned fire and struck the suspect. That person was then taken to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
The Secret Service said a bystander was struck by gunfire, but did not offer any details on their condition. No Secret Service agents were injured.
CBS has since reported that the suspect was Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man who was already known to the Secret Service. A source told the outlet that Best had been arrested in July 2025 after he tried to access the White House, and he was subsequently sent to a psychiatric facility.
What we don’t know
We do not know what Best’s motivation for opening fire in Washington DC might be, and there has not been any confirmation on the kind of weapon he used.
We also don’t know anything about the bystander that was struck, or whether they were hit by fire from Best or the Secret Service.
While the Secret Service has confirmed that Donald Trump was in residence at the White House when the shooting unfolded, we have not yet heard anything from him.
We are now ending our live coverage, but you can read the latest in our story here.