Iran Peace Deal Push Intensifies as Fragile Ceasefire Holds

(Bloomberg) — Persian Gulf nations and Pakistan stepped up efforts to transform a fragile truce in the Iran war into a permanent peace deal, with US President Donald Trump again signaling that the conflict may end soon.

Most Read from Bloomberg

Field Marshal Asim Munir, Pakistan’s army chief and the favored interlocutor between the US and Iran, arrived in Tehran Friday for discussions on an accord with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi that lasted late into the night and continued on Saturday.

Munir also met Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian and Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, the speaker of parliament, the semi-official Mehr news agency reported. Iran’s Foreign Ministry said Araghchi held separate talks with his counterparts in Oman, Turkey, Qatar and Iraq, and United Nations Secretary General António Guterres.

The ceasefire was agreed six weeks ago, temporarily halting fighting that erupted when the US and Israel launched air strikes on Iran on Feb. 28. Iran responded with missile and drone attacks on countries in the Persian Gulf and further afield. Thousands of people were killed, the bulk of them in Iran.

A lasting peace deal has remained elusive so far, keeping global energy markets on edge and oil prices elevated above $100 a barrel. The United Arab Emirates has joined Qatar and Saudi Arabia in appealing to Trump to allow more time for negotiations, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Trump has veered between assurances that a peace accord was almost at hand and threats of new aerial assaults since the truce took effect. He told a rally in the state of New York on Friday the war will be over “soon” and “oil prices are going to tumble as soon as I finish up with Iran,” while Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “slight progress” in negotiations.

“I don’t want to exaggerate it, but there’s been a little bit of movement, and that’s good,” Rubio told the media at a meeting of foreign ministers from members of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization in Sweden on Friday.

Tasnim, Iran’s semi-official news agency, cited a source close to Tehran’s negotiating team as saying more progress had been made on some issues when compared to past talks, but no deal will be reached until all disputed matters are resolved.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *